We didn't have much planned that we still wanted to do and we had to be back early to check out of our hotel, so for our Monday we decided to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.  We stepped outside and immediately noticed the cold and the wind.  It was by far the worst weather we had for the entire trip.  We noticed the palace of fine arts on Saturday when driving back to our friends' house, so we thought it would be a good starting point for the day.  We took the bus to within a couple of blocks and started walking around.  I'm not exactly sure why this place exists, but it is truly an amazing building and grounds.  We walked around and took some pictures, but didn't stay in one place too long because of the cold.

The Palace of Fine Arts

In addition to being huge, it was very ornate and detailed.

Inside the dome

From here it was only a couple of blocks to the shoreline.  We walked down the shoreline towards the bridge.

The Golden Gate Bridge

It was probably about a mile and a half to the actual start of the bridge.  It seemed longer because we were walking into the wind the whole time.  For some reason, we thought it would be a fun, peaceful walk across the bridge and back, but we drastically underestimated how loud it would be.  If there had been no traffic, it would have been super peaceful and a really enjoyable walk, but with the traffic it was loud and long.  We were treated to some pretty awesome views, so it was still worth it, it just wasn't as peaceful and relaxing as we were expecting.

On the bridge

About halfway, we stopped to take some pictures of San Francisco.  You can see it was a pretty gloomy and cloudy day.

San Francisco Skyline

On our way back, it did start to clear up for just a few minutes, but then it clouded back over right away.

Last views of the bridge

After the bridge, we got lunch in the Marina district and took the bus back to our hotel.  We walked around Chinatown for a little bit and then it was time to head back to the airport.  We had an uneventful trip back home and made it back just after midnight.  Overall, we had a great trip and are very glad we got the chance to get away for the weekend.

Back to trip home